Posted by Big Ron on November 21, 19 at 11:58:24:
These are all unsupported Rorschach reactions to a strange season. Feel free to call BS on any or all of my comments.
* Before the season, I knew that this would be a season for fans to concentrate on player development and not on the W/L record. Unfortunately, I was right. But while some players have exceeded my expectations, the development of others have been a disappointment. I don't know if that is a component of coaching, schemes, player potential or program leadership.
* Dan Gonzales is a Rocky Long pupil. Rob Lickens is a Sonny Dykes pupil. While both have learned their crafts from competent mentors, both may suffer from the lack of innovation. Both seem to operate from established system Cliff notes. Since this conference is filled with talented DCs and OCs, the predictability of the ASU offense and defense is exploited once PAC-12 play begins.
* Lickens is a spread OC. Edwards is an NFL ball control Head coach. The hybrid offense is a disaster. Plus how do you recruit for both? I have a couple wish-list names for a replacement OC that can develop these young QBs. I bet you do too.
* I have analyzed college football performance for years and have concluded that roster management is a primary requirement of a perennial power. It is absolutely essential to avoid position gaps in recruiting classes because conference teams know how to exploit them. ASU suffers from such neglect. Today it is O-linemen. Next year it will D-linemen or LBs. Then we will out of TEs. It never ends. Until it does, we will never be better. The fact that we are now at less than 70 scholarship players displays the decay orbit that we must break out of.
* Who is in charge? The ASU NFL Model established a tribunal to run the program and Edwards as the CEO. So who runs the program? The Tribunal has been invisible. Edwards has an expert team of advisors and yet ASU is being out recruited and out schemed within the conference. I want Anderson to lay down some benchmark measurable improvements. NFL model? The NFL fires people all the time.
* This team has crossed the line from too disciplined too lax. Too much histrionics after plays. Now too many critical penalties. Too many blown assignments.
* Player comments:
- Brandon Aiyuk is the type of 3 star player to recruit and build a program around.
- I said that Edwards could pick any of his QBs to successfully lead the program. I feel more strongly about that now than I did during Camp T.
- Except for his recent fumbles, Eno Benjamin is performing as well, if not better, this year than last. He has had to open his own holes. I am sure the NFL scouts see that.
- Kyle Williams might be the best athlete on the team. Get him more touches.
- DJ Davidson has a hell of a motor. I can't remember ever seeing a another 320 lb NT make more sideline and downfield tackles. He is another example of a 3-star program foundation player.
- Frank Darby drives me crazy. Every game I say, "How did he make that catch?" Every game I say, "How did he miss that catch?"
Post a Followup