Re: Don B

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Sun Devil Message Board ]

Posted by Don B. on June 30, 20 at 12:54:23:

In Reply to: Don B posted by Oldtimer on June 30, 20 at 05:15:10:

Asking three times? Wow. How can I ignore that.

After the third surgery, I developed a deep wound on each side of my foot so I went back into the Hospital and had a wound vac attached. While there, they biopsied some crumbly bone and discovered osteomyelitis (infection of the bone).

The wounds are healing and I am on two daily IV antibiotics. My foot is distorting again (the problem that started all this) and the Dr. doesn't know if I have enough strong bone in the foot to support me.

At this point, I apparently have two options: 1) an external fixation device that looks like a medieval torture device (and probably would serve as one very nicely) or 2) below-knee ampoutation.

If I was to choose the former, then I would be laid up for several months with a bunch of wires coming out of my foot/ankle and an external frame. There is a good chance that there still would not be enough good bone to support me and I would be on oral antibiotics the rest of my life for osteomyelitis.

By taking the foot, there would be a much shorter recovery but life would become very different with a prosthesis. For one thing, it is my right foot which means I would have to learn to drive with my left foot. Getting up in the middle of the night would be a big problem, etc.

Going to have to make a decision soon but I keep putting it off hoping for a miracle but my Dr is not named Bercovici or Strong. I really don't like either option.

Thanks for asking.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Sun Devil Message Board ]